- Card issues
- Getting a card
- Paying by card
- Splitting expenses with Group Bills
- Withdrawing cash
- Sending money to a bank account or card
- Sending money to another Revolut account
- Paying via Direct Debit
- Revolut Gifting
- Making donations
- Revolut Pockets
- Confirmation of Payee
- What is Revolut Pay payment method ?
- Revolut Shopper
- Getting Help with Bank Transfers
How does the chargeback process work?
What is a chargeback?
A chargeback is a process that allows you to dispute a transaction where something went wrong, like:
- The merchant didn’t provide the goods or services as described (or didn’t provide them at all)
- There was an error when interacting with the merchant, leading to an incorrect charge (like a double charge or a charge in the incorrect currency, for example)
- The transaction was fraudulent
You should only ask for a chargeback after you’ve exhausted all the other options to solve the issue (contacting the merchant as an example), as the chargeback is a last resort and tends to take some time to resolve. This is especially important for non-fraud cases, as Visa and Mastercard require proof that you tried contacting the merchant in order to raise the chargeback.
The rules under which a chargeback can be raised are set by Visa and Mastercard and the dispute takes place between you and the merchant, so it is critical that you provide all the relevant information you can to speed up the process and maximise the likelihood your submission will be successful.
Reviewing your submission
When you submit a dispute to us through the chargeback form, we first review your submission to make sure we understand your situation and have everything needed to get your money back. This can take up to 3 days, but it’s usually faster.
Raising a chargeback
Once our review is complete, we’ll raise a chargeback for your case, if possible.
A ‘chargeback’ involves Revolut asking the merchant for a refund for your transactions through a formal process defined by Mastercard and Visa. We’ll send all the information you give us to the merchant to prove that you were charged incorrectly.
Once raised, the merchant has up to 45 days to respond. If the merchant rejects your claim, it can take even longer. The entire process from when you first raise your submission with Revolut to a final decision can take up to 12 weeks. Unfortunately, we cannot speed the chargeback process up, as the process is defined by Mastercard and Visa.
Hearing about the outcome
We’ll give you updates via email on how your chargeback is progressing.
If the merchant accepts your claim, you'll be automatically refunded.
If the merchant rejects your claim, we may ask for more information to assess if we can continue the chargeback.
Please note that there is no guarantee that we can get your money back through the chargeback process, even with evidence.
In the event your case does not meet the criteria set within MasterCard or Visa’s rules, we will not be able to submit a chargeback request. We apologise, but in this scenario we will not be able to help further.
Issues with card payments
- Why is my card payment pending?
- Why has my card payment been declined?
- I don't recognise a card payment
- I've been charged more than once for the same transaction
- Why did Revolut charge me for card payment?
- Why did the merchant charge a fee for my card payment?
- Exchange rate for my card payment is wrong
- Why do I see an extra small charge on my statement?
- Why has my card payment been reverted?
- Declined payment is not visible in transactions list
- Payment declined by security system
- Payment declined due to geolocation mismatch
- Why my online payment was declined?
- I've been charged for a declined payment
- I suspect that my card is blocked
I don't recognise a card payment
- I was not supposed to be charged by a specific merchant
- I am getting charged for a subscription I canceled or I was not aware I was signing up for
- Merchant's name and location are showing differently
- I was charged incorrectly with a merchant I recognise
- This transaction was made by someone else without my permission